Commission announces further steps forward to advance cannabis research in the Commonwealth – Cannabis & Hemp


United States: Commission announces further steps forward to advance cannabis research in the Commonwealth

To print this article, simply register or connect to

The Cannabis Control Commission announcement in an August newsletter that it will begin reviewing all previously submitted marijuana research facility license applications to the Commission.

A research facility license allows license holders to research cannabis and cannabis products for a variety of purposes, including, in certain circumstances, studies involving human subjects. Research facility licenses can be held by a number of different entities, including academic institutions, non-profit organizations, or national corporations.

Before carrying out any research, permit holders must also obtain a research permit. This permit signals the approval of the Commission to conduct a specified research project over a specific period of time. In its newsletter last month, the Commission also declared it will also begin to accept new applications for permits for research studies.

Here are some highlights from the Commission regulations and list of Faq that future research facility permit holders should be aware of:

  • Research licensees must adhere to the same application requirements as other marijuana establishments including, but not limited to: providing an agreement with the host community, identifying a proposed location, and listing all persons / entities having direct or indirect control.
  • Licensed research facilities are also subject to requirements similar to those of other marijuana establishments, such as: registration of persons engaged in research as agents of marijuana establishment, compliance with transport regulations for marijuana establishments (935 CMR 500.105 (13) and the monitoring of cannabis in the seeds of the Commission. sales system.
  • A research license holder may acquire their cannabis from a licensed marijuana establishment or, with the approval of the Commission, engage in the cultivation or manufacture of products for the purpose of conducting research on those products.
  • Research facilities can co-locate with marijuana establishments, as long as they belong to the same property and are clearly physically separated.
  • Research permits must be renewed annually, or earlier depending on the nature of the research.
  • The license holder is limited to owning only the quantity of cannabis to be used in the research project.
  • Research involving human subjects requires prior approval from the Institutional Review Board (IRB).
  • The Commission’s permit review will focus on whether the research project is licensed, demonstrates adequate safety protocols, is adequately funded, and provides scientific / research value.

Some examples of research projects that the Commission lists in its regulations include:

  • Researching the potency and composition of cannabis and cannabis products
  • Clinical investigations on dosage forms
  • Research on safety and efficacy as a component of the use of cannabis as a medical treatment
  • Genomic, horticultural and agricultural research

The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide on the subject. Specialist advice should be sought regarding your particular situation.

POPULAR POSTS ON: Cannabis & Hemp from the United States


Previous Romanian parliament senators voted in favor of visa law for digital nomads in Romania
Next October 2021 visa bulletin shows only minor progress for employment-based visa applications - Immigration

No Comment

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.