New Zealand: New entry rules for travelers from Australia
To print this article, simply register or connect to Mondaq.com.
- Eligible travelers allowed to enter New Zealand from Australia without certain requirements from January 16, 2022
- Eligible travelers will be allowed to enter New Zealand from high-risk countries without being subject to certain requirements from February 13, 2022.
- Fully vaccinated foreign nationals, possibly depending on visa category, will be able to enter New Zealand without being subject to certain requirements from April 30, 2022.
The Government of New Zealand will allow fully vaccinated New Zealand citizens, residence visa holders and other eligible travelers to travel to New Zealand from Australia without staying in Managed Isolation and Quarantine (MIQ) facilities from January 16, 2022 The government will release additional information regarding eligible travelers in December 2021. New Zealand citizens exempt from MIQ will need:
- A negative COVID before departure test carried out no more than 72 hours before the scheduled departure time;
- Proof of being fully vaccinated;
- A passenger declaration of travel history;
- A COVID test carried out on the day of arrival or 1 day after arrival;
- An obligation to self-isolate for 7 days; and
- One final negative test before entering the larger community in New Zealand
More information on how self-isolation will be implemented will be available in December 2021.
What are the changes?
The New Zealand government has released plans to gradually allow vaccinated travelers to avoid MIQ from January 2022. This deployment process will take place in three phases depending on the travelers’ country of origin, category visa and country of travel.
Vaccinated New Zealand citizens, holders of approved residency visas and other eligible travelers will be able to enter New Zealand even from high-risk countries from February 13, 2022. The country will also open to nationals foreigners fully vaccinated, possibly depending on visa category, from April 30, 2022. Continue to check New Zealand government website and sent it website for additional information and updates.
Originally posted Nov 24, 2021
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide on the subject. Specialist advice should be sought regarding your particular situation.
POPULAR POSTS ON: New Zealand Immigration